- Vessel Operations
Objective: To become Inspector/Auditor
Compliance Systems Incorporated, June 2013-Present
Regulatory and Safety Security Consultant (Sub-contractor)
- Conducted Regulatory and Safety audits on various types of vessels, i.e. Bulk break vessels, Container Ships, Oil tankers and RO/RO’s.
- Qualified Individual (QI) for over 500 vessels within the United States.
- Over 24 years of experience working with Coast Guard, Class and international regulations and protocols relating to foreign vessels.
- Over 24 years of professional experience working with Federal, State, and local stake holders along with provide efficient and economic service to all customers.
- Liaison experience with dry dock facility personnel dealing with vessels.
- Experience working with logistical support issues for foreign vessels.
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of Class Regulations, United States Coast Guard and international regulations and protocols relating to company vessels
- Strong computer skills and working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- In-depth knowledge on conducting ISM internal and external audits, and assist in follow up corrective actions until closed on foreign vessel.
- Review Masters Reports on near misses, accidents, Coast Guard deficiencies and provide suggestions to Master and shore-side management.
- Provide detail Compliance reports on vessel overall condition and provide photographs of vessel, Bridge, Deck, Galley, Living quarters, Machinery, etc.
- In-depth knowledge in conducting environmental audits, i.e. Oil record books, OWS systems, Garbage Management plans, Non-Tank vessel response plans, SOPEP, Bilge water Management, Ballast Water Management, Vessel Security (MTSA and ISPS codes), Bridge and Navigation systems, Machinery Systems, Pollution Drills and Training.
- In-depth knowledge on inspecting all required navigation systems, intra-vessel communications systems, alarms, lifesaving systems, firefighting systems, and pollution prevention systems and machinery systems, to ensure proper operational functioning and compliance with national / international standards.
- In-depth knowledge conduct International Ship and Port facility security (ISPS) and Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA) audits on domestic and foreign vessels
- In-depth knowledge conducting Marine Casualty and Accident Investigations
And On-Board Safety Training.
United States Coast Guard, 1988-2013
Chief Warrant Officer (Marine Safety Specialist Deck 2)
Completed 24 year career with the U.S. Coast Guard - Gained upper-level manager status
Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound, Washington, Port State Control Chief -2011 – 2013
- Managed all aspects of PSC enforcement, exams & scheduling for >700 annual foreign vessel inspections in Puget Sound (Seattle, WA) AOR/Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC
- Conducted Cruise-ship Inspections and training in Seattle, WA, develop a checklist document for the mandated Muster Drill required by SOLAS.
- Work with the Canadian Port State Control Government conducting Cruise-ship inspections.
- Training Officer for Port State Control Branch instructing CG Enlisted and Officers on Port State Control regulations, i.e. SOLAS, MARPOL, Code of Federal Regulations, 33, 46, 49 Marine Safety Manuals, Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NAVICs), ILO ISPS, MTSA, STCW, and other treaties and conventions
- Managed all aspects of PSC enforcement, exams & scheduling for over 700 vessels consisting of Bulk break vessels, Container Ships, Oil tankers and RO/RO and other types of vessels
- In-depth knowledge on inspecting all required navigation systems, intra-vessel communications systems, alarms, lifesaving systems, firefighting systems, and pollution prevention systems and machinery systems, to ensure proper operational functioning and compliance with national / international standards
- In depth knowledge dealing with International Class societies, Vessel Captains, Marine Surveyors, Vessel agents, state and Federal agencies
- In-depth knowledge in response management activities associated with oil/chemical spills onboard vessels.
Coast Guard Career overview, 1988-2013
- 15 years of experience in conducting Port State Control Examinations on Oil Tankers, Bulk Break Carriers, Container vessels, RORO carriers, etc. to identify and eliminate substandard vessels
- 15 years of experience dealing SOLAS, MARPOL, ILO, ISPS, MTSA, STCW, 33, 49 and other Codes of Federal Regulations dealing with Maritime vessels
- Over 20 years of experience dealing with Response management and training
- Years of experience dealing with Federal and State regulatory agencies and Class Societies
- Conduct Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (MLC 2006) Audits on Foreign vessels that arrive in the United States
- Conduct International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and Pollution Prevention(ISM audits) on foreign vessels
- Conduct International Ship and Port facility security (ISPS) and Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA) audits on domestic and foreign vessels
- Working knowledge on how Safety Management Systems (SMS) work
- Working knowledge of Coast Guard Marine Environmental Pollution regulations dealing with oil pollution, chemical, garbage, sewage regulations, Non-Tank Vessel Response Plans, Shipboard Oil Pollution Emergency Plans (SOPEP)
- In-depth knowledge on how to perform Ship board audits to ensure safety at sea, human injury or loss of life, identify risks and establish safeguards, continuously improve safety management skills of personal ashore and on-board vessels
- In-depth knowledge on ship board operations, i.e. Bridge operations, Machinery operations, Abandon ship drills, Fire drills, examination of all SOLAS/CG documents, manuals, certificates and license.
- Over 20 year of oil/chemical response experience
- Experience in teaching small to large groups from novice to the professionals
- Coast Guard Training Center Yorktown certified Instructor for over 4 years. Taught courses on oil/chemical response, Commercial Fishing Vessel course, Facilities and Explosive Handling course.
M.A., Columbia Southern University 2012: Occupational Safety Health with a minor in Environmental Management
- Security – Shipment of Hazardous Materials Veritas Safety Management
- Incident Command System 100 / 200 / 300 / 339 / 400 / 700 / 800
- Environmental Compliance Plan Auditor
- ABS MLC 2006 Audit qualification Auditor
- ABS ISM Code Internal Auditor qualification, ISPS/MTSA Auditor
- Coast Guard Port State Control Officer (Oil tankers, RO/RO, Break bulk, Containers).
- EMS ISO 14001 course
- EPA Environmental Regulations
- Pollution Responder
- Coast Guard Instructor courses
- EPA Hazardous Materials Incident Response Operations course
- Additional training and qualifications
- Coast Guard Investigating Officer
- Additional courses not on resume.
Wilmington, North Carolina,